Re: uv dangers from uncovered gap

Original poster: "Kp2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kp2-at-wvi-dot-com>

>  Now I am far from an expert in this, but I do demonstrate my coil to
> those that ask to see it, and although I always ask concerning implants
> etc I have never considered the above scenario. Considering my gap is
> literally 'sunlight' bright when running, and considereing proximity
> issues,  could someone please tell me whether the above is cause for
> concern?
>
> Best Regards
>
>  Robin Copini.

Considering that Microwave radation is at a lower frequency than UV, a
piece of welder's glass might or might not help. It will certainly help
with sub to super visual spectrum, but an RF grounded sort of faraday cage
between the viewers and the gap would limit any dangers of microwave
emission from the spark gap.

Inverse square law can also be used to your advantage here. Bystanders
have no business being within 10 feet of the coil. It you get them 20 feet
back, then the radiation will be 1/4 what it was at 10 feet. For the
limited amount of time that the coil is on, I doubt any harm (well,
*immediate* harm... heh heh) will come of them.

In need of sparkin'
Jon Strauss
(Hey you guys! I'll bet my fifth rib that some of you have some gear (HV
transformers, etc) that you could donate/sell/permenently lend a cashpoor
17 year old high school student. My coil is still missing its physical
being...)