Re: pfc

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/21/01 2:56:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> PFC caps significantly reduce the current drawn from the AC line.  They
> also help performance slightly since the AC voltage is a tiny bit higher
> (less line drop).  They are not needed at all unless you need to reduce the
> current to keep from blowing breakers or are going through a lower current
> variac.  My PFC cap on my big coil reduced the current from 16 amps to
> about 9 so the current reduction is significant.
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Terry

Hi Eric!
         I'll second that. I just completed my binary switching PFC. to use
with different size TC power supplies. Basically, I had a bunch of 15 uf caps,
so I wired up
4 in series to switch 1 =3.25 uf,
2 in series to switch 2 = 7.5 uf,
one to switch 3 = 15 uf
2 in parallel to switch 4 = 30 uf
4 in parallel to switch 5 = 60 uf
8 in parallel to switch 6 = 120 uf
16 in parallel to switch 7 = 240 uf

Thus with 7 switches I can go from 0 to 476.75 uf in 3.25 uf increments. This
should cover all my current and future pfc needs.

Matt D.