mmc testimonial

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Before I make my big (over 100 caps) mmc for my pole pig coil, I
decided to make a smaller one for my NST powered coil to see how well
it performed. Here is my story:

CAPS ARE 0.1uF 1500VDC ARCOTRONICS 72 SERIES CAPS.

I always like to use the tesla "equidrive" tank circuit whereby the
caps are placed on both sides of the primary. On each side of the
primary I have two strings of capacitors in parallel. There are 8 caps
per string. Therefore, in total I have 16 caps per string, and two
strings in parallel, for a little over 0.01uF (with 32 caps). I ran
this with my 15kV/90mA tranny setup for several minutes. I used my
airblast gap which provides excellent quenching at these power levels.
It performed well, with minor arcing over due to me not leaving enough
clearance between strings. I then hooked up 4x 0.01uF homemade poly
caps in series/parallel with the mmc cap for a total of about 0.02uF. I
hooked up my 11kV pig, current limited to about 4kW. If you use E=CV^2
you will see that the 0.01uF at 15kV and the 0.02uF at 11kV have a very
similar energy per bang. The beauty of the pig was I knew I could
provide enough current to fully charge the capacitors.

I ran this system for 10 minutes flat (timed, not guessed) producing
over four foot sparks. The primary got very hot. The MMC caps had
warmed ever so slightly (barely detectable) and the big poly caps had
not risen at all due to so much oil. I am very impressed with the
ability of the mmc caps. They weigh probably 10 times less than the
poly caps, they self heal, self discharge and don't leak oil. I was
skeptical of their ability at first, but they really are great and cost
a lot less than the 4 poly caps I made (taking into account plastic,
foil, pvc pipe, oil, etc). Many thanks go out to Terry for his
excellent web page.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,