Re: Barts Flat Coil Dimensions Was: Dimensions of my flat spiral coil

Hi Dave,

Some help below..

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
>
> Hi Bart,
>
> I'm having a tough time getting the parameters right.  I keep getting an
> unrecognized option error.  As soon as I figure out what I'm doing wrong, I
> tell you if it gives a better inductance calculation than the standard flat
> spiral coil formula.
>
> Dave

You'll find standard L equations are close to Acmi, because they are close to
the inductance of the coil. Using a stardard spiral equation, I calc'd 11.4mH
and measured 12mH. ACMI however calc'd 12mH. (these values on my 2nd spiral
coil).

Below is an input file I used today for Acmi. You could probably just copy it
into Notepad and save it as "flat.in". (the extention isn't important - just
that it's called out properly when piped into Acmi).

Also, open Notepad and copy the following into it, then save it as "Acmi.bat".

acmi<flat.in

All you have do then is run Acmi.bat and the input file (flat.in) is piped into
Acmi.

A note about my file. The primary I'm using is a flat configuration which will
be below the secondary about 6 inches to start out due to coupling reasons.
Anyway, you can simply ignore the primary and change the secondary parameters
for your coil.

Hope this helps,
Bart

Here's the "flat.in" file.

; Flat Spiral Secondary.
; Turns are rounded to nearest integer.

units inches

secondary {

   radius1 0.3125      ; Inner turn radius
   radius2 6.98875     ; Outer turn radius

   height1 0.0   ; leave at 0 for flat coil
   height2 0.0   ; leave at 0 for flat coil

   conductor 0.01005   ; bare wire radius
   turns 298  ; number of turns
}

primary {