RE: How to Tune a Flat Spiral Coil

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
.

> >Second, I'm amazed you arc'd through the 1/4"
> plexiglas. There "must" be
> some very high voltages present. Curious, I would
> imagine the arcs point of
> origin through the Plexiglas was near the outer
> windings?
>
> Yes, the arcs occurred near the outer windings of
> the secondary.
> Particularly the arcs occur at the three points
> where the three leads exit
> the secondary.  I assume this is due to the weaker
> dielectric.  Although the
> outer leads exiting the secondary have 1/4" of hot
> glue on them, the rest of
> the coil is covered with 1/4" Plexiglas.  So there
> is already 1/2" of
> Plexiglas between the primary and secondary for most
> of the coil surfaces.

Ah, you didn't say -that- before. I always got the
impression that it was arcing right through uncut
undamaged plexi and hot glue.

Where is it arcing to?

And I thought those three outer ends were grounded and
the center was the high voltage side.

Steve Greenfield