Re: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi John,

extensive K factor tests and comparison to Mark's M&K program were
perfomed in autumn 2000. The simple mutual inductance method (-at- 50Hz
AC line f) was used for the tests. Some results-graphs can be viewed
on my website:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/bw_mk2.gif
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/bw_mk3.gif

If they were not deleted, you might find the Excel files, which I have
sent you, for the full data:

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:13:43 File: bw_mk.zip     <-- Excel: M&K data
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:11:08 File: BW_design.zip <-- Excel: coil data

The bw_mk.zip file can also be downloaded:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/bw_mk.zip

The comparison of my- and many others's results with acmi can be had
on Bart's website:
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/sim/k.html

The comparisons are giving a lot of trust in the 2 programs (MandK and
acmi), and if good precision conditions for the experiment are not
guaranteed, I would trust more to those calculations, which are based
on sound physical principles, than to an average-quality experimental
value. It seems to me, those programs need well to be distinguished,
from empirical function-fitting formulae (to a limited range of
experimental data), as a means of prediction: the former beeing
intrinsically more reliable. They may serve, delivering a set of
pseudo-experimental data for the fit of an empirical function, the
way, Bart has provided in his great Java TC calculator.

Cheers,
         Kurt Schraner

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>