Re: MOT power supply

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

 > Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<f-h-at-c.dk>

[cut]

 > Pls. don`t be sarcastic, when we point out that the MOT`s are cheaply
 > built, it only serves to show that you are unaware of how a proper high
 > voltage transformer is made!

A MOT is a all means a "proper" transformer for its intended application.
Because of the mature technology and high volume of use the manufactureres
have determined how to "cut corners" to minimize built cost and still have a
fully functional transformer. Low production items are frequently just
overbuilt because it's not worth finding out where to minimize costs.

For instance, take a 1990 486 business class server. It was made of thick
solid steel. You could take a hammer to an ALR server and just have chipped
paint and bloody knuckles 30 minutes later. The typical server now would
crumple if you jumped on it, but is by far faster and more reliable- things
you want in a computer. I liked the heavy steel chassis, but it turns out
they server no real purpose and have for the most part long gone away. This
happens with all products at they mature- frequently too far to the point
the product unfortunately just becomes complete trash.

While built "well" even a polemount distribution transformer is overkill for
tesla coiling in certain aspects. I don't plan to run my coil out in a rain
and snow storm, and would rather have not payed for the large yet exciting
looking high voltage terminals. The mystical electrostatic paint job is
great too, but again, I'm not worried about corrosion over 20 year periods.
The high effeciency of the step-lap core is not my primary concern either as
this transformer will not be energized 24 hours a day 7 days a week for
decades at my expense.

I'm tempted to ask tranformer engineer friend how much it would cost to make
power transformers built to the actual requirements of tesla coil builders
(large power levels, and ability to take high peak voltages without failing,
and something not huge and really heavy.)

KEN