Re: Tesla Coil Tricks

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hello All,

On the Zinc wicked candle trick, the hardest part is to find the
candles.  These were used for small votive candles.  They almost always
have a square metal wick holder on the bottom of the candle, which makes a
great contact point.  The wick can be identified by looking at the core of
the wick, if it is black (old) or shines (fresh cut), it is zinc.  These
candles have fallen out of favor with candle people as they like to leave
soot marks on ceilings. (Good for us!)

When I first did this experiment, I had the coil connected with a parallel
primary system.  Most coils today are series connected, as it is easier on
components.  I also had a steel 6" sphere for topload.  I made one mistake,
I did not have any way to catch spilled wax and made a big mess on the
sphere/primary.  Streamer length at the time was 10-12", which was later
increased to 18" with higher Q caps.
Power was supplied by a 7.5/30 NST.

With the candle mounted on the sphere, I would get from .5-5mm
fireballs.  I noticed that the candle seemed to burn faster than
normal.  This version produced larger balls than the car tire that I would
burn. ( was more plentiful than candles)  Car tire averaged .5-3mm, candle
averaged 2-5mm, for my coil setup.  Drawing power arcs to the car tire that
I used, seemed to produced more balls, but it only works when drawn thru
the heat plume/soot cloud above the flame.  I found that about 2/3 of max
strike distance seemed to work best.  With more power added, balls would
get larger.

I used to work in the still air in my basement, but as my coils became
bigger and better, I had to move outside for safety.  Trying to get a dead
calm night is hard at best.  I have tried a modified candle, but not a zinc
one.  I think the biggest problem is the soot cloud gets blown away from
the streamers.  In other similar experiments a 18-20mm ball was produced,
that floated out about 3' and splattered like an egg on a wall.  I did have
a 1cm ball pop out of the side of my 6" coil while I was tunning it,
causing two turns to then arcover.  I had purposly built this secondary to
explore severe overcoupling.  The cause on this one may have been best
described in Tesla's patent.

I recently found about 1 1/2 dozen suitable candles in the basement, and
sent 4 to Dan.  He tried them on a grounded rod, drawing the streamer to
the candle with poor results.  This would be similar to natural balls, and
why we don't see them often.  I am also thinking that a mushroom or sphere
terminal may be the most useful in this type of experiment.

Good luck to anyone trying this experiment.

David E Weiss