Re: Circulating Power

I started doing a similar calcuation and came up with a couple
interpretations..
First.. energy transfer during a cycle (as Finn shows, but for the whole
cycle, not just the first half cycle)
C to L, L to C(reversed), C to L, L to C... 4 transfers in one cycle, so P =
Energy*4/period
Energy = 1/2*C*V^2
Period = 2*pi*sqrt(L*C)
So.. Power = C*V^2/(4 *pi* sqrt(L*C)) = V^2 * 1/(4*pi) * sqrt(C/L)

But, another interpretation is in the power engineering "var flow" sense...
Since current is 90 degrees out of phase with voltage in the
inductor/capacitor, all the current is circulating.
The circulating power would be Vrms*Irms
Vrms = Vpeak / sqrt(2)
Irms = Ipeak / sqrt(2)
Ipeak^2 * L  = Vpeak^2 * C >>>> Ipeak = sqrt(Vpeak^2 * C/L) =
sqrt(Vpeak^2)*sqrt(C/L) = Vpeak *sqrt(C/L)
So.. Vars = Vpeak / sqrt(2) * Ipeak / sqrt(2) = Vpeak*Ipeak/2
= Vpeak * Vpeak * sqrt(C/L)/2

Which looks remarkably like the first way, except that there's an extra
2*pi...

Too early in the morning to figure out why.