Re: Warm up time on old capacitor checker

Original poster: Ray von Postel <vonpostel-at-comcast-dot-net>

John:
I have and use a Heathkit Condenser Checker Model C-3

Warm up time:  less than 15 seconds
Heathkit manual says:
"Resistors and controls generally have a tolerance rating of plus or minus
20% unless otherwise stated.  Therefore, a 10,000 ohm resistor may test
anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 ohms.  The tolerance on condensers is
generally even greater.  Limits of -50% to 100% are common for paper
tubular types."
Notice that Heath makes no claim for either the precision or accuracy of
the Capacitor Checker.

The checker I have reads 900 pf when measuring a 1000 pf  0.1% air
dielectric standard capacitor.  So, at least on my checker, the reading is
10% low on that scale.

Measurements on mica capacitors read as follows:

Nominal value:  0.1       mf    reads:  0.07 mf
                            10,000 pf               8,000 pf
                            20,000 pf             15,000 pf
                                  .01 mf                .005 pf
                                .015 mf              .0135 pf

This type of capacitor checker is not intended as a precision instrument
but for servicing of vacuum tube circuits made up of  low precision
components.  Notice that the reading I got for the standard capacitor was
10% low and for the other capacitors they were all over the place.  You can
figure that at least 10% of the error can be attributed to the capacitor
checker and the rest to the capacitor being measured.

The checker does use vacuum tubes.  I suggest you check those as a first
step.  One or more of them could be causing the slow warm up.  If that
doesn't solve the problem then check the electrolytic capacitors for
leakage resistance.

Replacement tubes and capacitors are available from several internet vendors.

Hope this helps

Ray