Re: Tesla's orphans

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>     To whom it may concern:
>     I don't know if this is even the right place, because you mostly talk
> about Tesla coils, and that's OK. Tesla coils are cool. This relates to
> Tesla, but not Tesla coils. I've got this book in front of me. Nikola
> Tesla Collected German and American Patents . Now I don't have a
> background in electronics, and I am way, way out of my league here. I
> have questions, and no clue on how to get an answer , but here goes.
>     Tesla designed a fountain, you know a public water fountain.

    Why is his better than another?

>If anyone's ever done anything with that, I didn't hear it. The coils get
>all the attention, the fountain gets none of the attention.

    Patents are nice.
    Many things are patented which are of no use.

>     This book has five different patents that pertain to producing high
> currency

    frequency?

>electrical current. The only people I know that know anything about
>electronics,

>which I don't, tell me there's one standard speed

    The _speed_ is set by physics: speed of light on the conductor or other
medium.
    The _frequency_ of the current, if AC, includes a variety of values, tho
    50 and 60 Hz (cycles per second) are near standard, worldwide.

    Frequencies  used by TESL are routinely generated electronically.

>for electric current. For all I know, the terminology could be the problem.

 >Maybe they're not even talking about the same thing. I'm sure Tesla saw some

>practical applications, but I have no idea of what they might be.

    Inventors are sometimes  overly optimistic about the
    practicality of their inventions.

>     Tesla had patents for broadcasting electrical power, just like radio
> signals.

    Radio signals ARE broadcast power.
    recovering useful amounts in one place is impossible,
    outside of beamed microwave, which is not _broad_cast.

>These patents are on the record. Has anyone in the last hundred years
>tested this?

    Yes.
    Constantly.
    Its called broadcasting.
    _all_ his _demonstrable_ results match current physics.

>Checked their results against his?

    Tesla BELIEVED he was doing something different.
    Much Less was known about 'radio' then.

>     I found 2 patents for a radiant energy source:
>    * Utilization of Radiant Energy (685,957)
>    * Method for Utilizing Radiant Energy (685,958)

    Someplace I have a similar collection, I'd need to dig out.
    Its  useful to recall that existence of a patent DOES NOT
    demonstrate that the proposed device works, works well,
    works better than alternate approaches.

    best
     dwp