RE: Spheres on toroids

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

 > Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Thomas,
 >
 > OK, I'm jeolous.  How did you edit the shape for the field
 > plot?  Is there a
 > README file somewhere?  I need to rerun inca again and see if
 > I can figure
 > this out.  The field plot is a very neat feature.  Thankyou Antonio.
 >
 > Gerry R
 > Ft Collins, CO

Ok here's what I've worked out,

Units are in meters.

There is a fast and slow (low / high resolution) plot.

You want to select "total electric field" from the drop down list.

There are three types of objects you can define, lines (L), circles (C), and
voltages applied to the objects (.v)

Lines and circles are rotated around the Y axis to form a 3D structure.

For the line case we have

L<name> <volt> <no_rings> <x1> <y1> <x2> <y2>
where:
<name> is a description (no spaces) not  sure of max length
<volt> is the string defined in .v used to apply a voltage to the line
<no_rings> is like a resolution of the plot (try values from 10 to 100)
<x1> <y1> are the coordinates of the start of the line
<x2> <y2> are the coordinates of the end of the line

e.g.
Lside terminal 90 1 0 1 1
defines a cylinder 1m long 1m radius about the y axis.

For the circle:

where:
<name> is a description (no spaces) not  sure of max length
<no_rings> is like a resolution of the plot (try values from 10 to 100)
<volt> is the string defined in .v used to apply a voltage to the line
<x> <y> are the coordinates of the centre of the circle
<r> is the circle radius
<sta> is the start angle (0° is at 3 o'clock, circumference draws
anticlockwise, use negative values to go clockwise, this is probably the
trickiest bit)
<enda> is the end angle

e.g.
Cring terminal 90 3 0 1 0 360
defines a toroid, minor diameter = 1m major diameter = 3.5m

Voltages are defined as follows:
.v <name> <voltage>
where
<name> is a descriptive name string used to define voltages on line and
circle objects
<voltage> is the voltage in volts

e.g.
.v terminal 500000
.v base -240

I sometimes set the voltage to 1V just for comparisons between different
geometries of top load.

Putting that all together we can do things like this (copy it into inca):

* phi1a
Ctop terminal 90 0 0 0.26 0 90
Coside terminal 90 0.1 0 0.16 0 -90
Ciside terminal 40 -0.1 -0.06 0.1 -90  0
.v terminal 1