Re: Calculating the drain I - SSTC

Original poster: "S.Gaeta" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Shaun,

I think you are right, because when I hit 11 KHz, all heck broke loose!
Something the circuit produced an audiable note at that freguency only (not
higher or lower), and only at that frequency the chips drew 50 more
milliamps than normal. Looks like I accidently discovered the resonant
frequency of the driver transformer. The IC didn't fail right away after I
did that, but that event probably weakened it. Maybe after I get all this
junk working right, I'll just go ahead and replace the other ones even
though they seem to be good.

They use snubbers similar to what you describe at my job. I guess it can't
hurt to put those in there too. Once I get enough safety nets in place,
maybe I won't be so destructive! I haven't even put any power to those
MOSFETs yet! I am so glad that I used vector board, and IC sockets! It's
possible that everyone has their own unique set of problems due to the fact
that all our systems run at their own unique frequency. Vacuum tubes are
much more forgiving than Mosfets, and building a conventional coil is like
driving a tank - almost nothing can get in its way!

Sue