Life Test - MMC cap bank

Hi Matt,

It's not that bad.  NIST has all the data for such things:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/

In our case, the life is a wear out (as opposed to random failure).  The
graph will look like this.  Probably a pretty high gamma case.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/apr/section1/gifs/flifepdf.gif

The mean and variance can all be figured out:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/apr/section1/apr166.htm#Derivation%20and%20Use%20of%20the%20Birnbaum-Saunders%20Model:

But really, it is not that complex.  If the caps last 20 minutes, we
worry.  If they last 20 days, we don't...  A pretty simple test set up
would look like:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CapLifeTest.gif

5 caps all failing pretty close to each other in time will have a perfectly
reasonable confidence for our purposes.  Unlike light bulbs, these caps
seem free from "defects" that cause very early failures and other random
things to cloud the data.  They should fail like clockwork...

One could also set up a bunch of those 10Meg 1/2W bleeder resistors
too.  People always worry about those and the voltage too.

I have a Agilent 34070a data logger and 20 channel card coming late next
week.  This might be a good excuse to use it ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry