funky voltage readings

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

I was playing around with a HV prove and meter and noticed I get odd
readings. I'm using an Agilent 34136 AC/DC probe which is just 1Gohm 1000:1
divider for meters with a 10Mohm impedance (which I'm using.)

DC voltages read ok for DC as far as I can tell so far.

For AC, digital meter and scope measures the same voltages, which are 3.4kV
for the 7.5kV winding of a 15kV neon sign transformer, which seems wrong.
High voltage probe goes to one HV lead on the transformer, and ground lead
of the probe goes to the ground on the transformer. I get the same with two
different transformers.

The waveform is almost a clean sine wave according to scope, so I'm not sure
where this number is coming from. I'd expect 7500 volts /1000 for 7.5 volts
on the meter, but I read 3.4

120 volts from an outlet give the expected readings with the HV probe in AC
mode.

Maybe soembody can explain this, or share what they get with a close setup.
The probe is rated for 60Hz AC use, and should be good to 2%.

KEN