Re: cap question

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>
>
>Thanks to all who supplied answers and advice in regards to my question
>about my Ebay secondary coil. I now need some help in regards to
>capacitors.  When I run the Wintesla software for trans/cap match it calls
>for a .0133 uF capacitor but when I run the primary coil section it calls
>for "required Cap = .0596 uF. Please explain this. The primary Coil
>section of Wintesla software also list Sec Frequency as 65.7723 KHZ. Is
>this a typo in the software and it really means the frequency of the
>primary coil. This is very simple stuff I'm sure but is confusing.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Emmett
hey Emmett....

yes ... the WinTesla can be confusing in that area..   when you run the
transformer section it will give you a cap rating for resonate value ( best
value for the transformer at full power   usually higher than what the coil
needs as far as cap size)

when you run the secondary coil funtion it will give you a cap rating for
secondary coil size.

when you run the primary it will give you a cap size for the number of
turns you put into the primary...   dont forget you need to adust primary
size for tapping  ( this changes cap value)

best bet is to set up the transformer values , next  set up the secondary
parameters, next set up the toriod size, and the size of the cap you are or
planning to use ( these are fixed sizes )   finally set up the primary size
( shape wire dia. etc.) and now for the magic part to find all the
numbers...   change the primary # of turns untill the cap size matches the
actuall size of the cap you are using....   this will give you the tap
point on the primary you need to use ( +/-) 1/2 a turn

Scot D