VTTCs for Newbies.

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

     Those new to VTTCs and/or TCs in general have, from time to time,
requested "detailed cook-book instructions" for building a first VTTC. I
recently found two such sets of plans in the 1954 edition of "Handyman's
Electrical Guide- vol. 2". These write-ups include every nut, screw, and
pieces of wire, complete dimensions on how and where to mount each
component, etc. The tubes recommended are 5514's, which are just the
graphite plate version of the 811A. The smaller one uses a single 5514,
while the larger uses two in parallel. The only changes that would need to
be made are substituting PVC or Lexan for Bakelite coil forms and nylon for
Bakelite washers and spacers. Unfortunately, my scanner is on the blink,
but I would be happy to make copies and snail mail them to any interested.
Perhaps some kind person will put it up on a site?
     These are very conservative but rock-solid and designed to work the
first time. Two warnings: 1) Write-up contains the myth of skin effect
harmlessness and 2) If you find your own copy of the mag, the front cover
shows a kid with his face only about a foot from the discharge. Do NOT try
this at home.
     The mag also contains interesting articles on constructing a 3-phase
Variac from three singles, making your own slidewire power resistors,
designing your own solenoids, to building a butt welder and a floor polisher.

     Let me know if anyone's interested.

Matt D.