Re: How do you measure couplin

Original poster: Peter Lawrence <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

Antonio,
         I've been collecting formulas involving "K", and have some that
appear to be inconsistent, perhaps you can shed some light on them.

a coil operating in 9:10 mode has a K of ~0.10497 from one of your
formulas: k=(b^2-a^2)/(b^2+a^2), and takes b/2 cycles => 5 to the
"first notch".

someone else recently posted a formula that says the number of oscillations
it takes for the energy to transfer from the primary to the secondary is
sqrt(1-k^2)/k, which for 0.10497 computes to ~9.42, which is about double
the b/2 that you state.

I can see how it is real easy to lose track of whether you're counting
full cycles or half cycles, whether you're measuring cycles relative to Fa,
Fb, or Fres, and I'm sure there are other simple things to accidentally drop
out of a description of how to use a formula.

can you clarify any of this,
thanks,
Pete Lawrence.