Re: interesting way to make 3phase power

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <arpit-at-inzo-dot-org>

WOw, that's quite brilliant :)  Unfortunately its a bit expensive for me,
Im still in high school. here we use a 240 volt AC supply single phase, and
415 volts between phases on 3 phase. I want 3 phase, but it'll be really
expensive to get. Just putting a 50 amp line for my tesla coil single phase
would cost me 500 dollars, so that should give you an idea of how much more
expensive 3 phase would be. SO I was thinking making it myself. I had 2
options in  my mind, perhaps you can advise?

a. Use microwave oven transformers to step up 240 volts to 500 or so, then
rectify  that. I could then use  mosfets connected to some sort of
miroprocessor to produce 3 phase power.  Heres the problem I see
though;  The rectified power will be, you know, rectified, not smooth dc.
I'd need big capacitor banks.Expensive. ANother option would be a  large DC
motor connected to a heavy flywheel, but thats complex, expensive, and
where the hell do I get a big DC motor!?

b. Get an old car which can't pass rego, and with my angle grinder cut it
between the front and back halves, and throw out the back half after
rejoining the fuel tank. I could then theoretically put a whole lot of
alternators connected by belts to the engine . ( I have no idea how id do
this.). And the mother would be a trifle upset at me bringing a car into
the garden. Plus cutting would be time consuming. Finally the alternators
would produce high frequency power and not much of it :(

Final possibility might be to get the car and put it up on cinderblocks
bolted to each other. I could then wind a huge generator of sorts and
couple it to a wheel, when i wanted power i could just get in the car fire
it up and put a few bricks oon the accelerator. THis is pretty impractical.