Re: electrical units

Original poster: C T <ct451-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I believe they just came up with relationships between
units that did not need many  coefficients (or the
coefficient is always one) and they all start with
seven if I recall base units: mass (kg), length (m),
current (A), time (s) etc. which they gave some
arbitrary magnitude (some of these were already
present but were redefined) to make them all fit
together.
for example, newton (N) the unit of force is what
gives a mass of 1 kg an acceleration of 1 m per s
joule (J) is the work done if the force is 1 N and the
distance moved is 1 m.
coulomb (C) is how much charge passes in one s when
the current flowing is one ampere.
volt (V) is the p.d. between two points if the work
done in taking one coulomb of charge from one point to
the other is one joule
and so on

Chris