Re: Calculating Cap RMS current

The spark gap radio pioneers did it as follows:

I  =  Vrms * sqr (CN/2R)

          where:

         I = rms current in Amperes

         V = rms potential in Volts

         C = capacitance in Farads

         R = circuit resistance in Ohms

         N = spark frequency in pulses/sec

You can also use a Pearson current xmfr to measure it directly and display
it on a DSO.  Then, the above equation can be solved for effective circuit
resistance in Ohms --- usually an unknown.

If you don't have a Pearson and a DSO, try to befriend someone at the EE
labs at a large university.  They could help you measure it directly.

Dr. Resonance