Re: Component Salvage - the TV Set

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Robert H wrote:
>Matthew: I strip old TV and computer monitors all the time. The picture tube
>is a dangerous problem if you do not break the vacuum seal in the center of
>base of the tube socket. I just use a small phillips screwdriver and tap it
>with a heavy tool or pliers to snap off the seal and let it fill with air.
>It then is just an old piece of glass to break and throw away like any other
>broken glass. But rember all broken glass is sharp so be careful and don't
>get cut.

Thanks Robert - good tip.  I'd been wondering about safe disposal rather
than just disposal...  I don't even like carrying them to the trash, safety
glasses or no.

The only technique I'd come across before was my father's rather eccentric
method of putting them in a ditch and shooting the neck with an air rifle!
(Surprisingly enough, and this was back in the 70's, on tubes from the 60's
and older, never did one implode.  The pellet made a hole and that was that.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy