Re: Phase controller question. Final success

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

But why is this still
louder than my older RSG?
I believe that it might have to do with the primary inductance, whis is
lower in this system, thus increasing the peak current, but this is just
another idea.

Christoph,

Yes, that may be a factor.  I see what you're saying about the
difficulty of increasing the cap value.  Also I forgot you were running
at 200 bps, so the cap value may be OK.

>Another thing is that I am not sure how much power I am really putting
>through. I know I draw nearly 10 amps at 230V, 2,3KVA. (I use no PFC.)
>On the other hand, from the fomula P= 0.5 x BPS x C x Vē I would get
>0.5x200x(60exp10^-9)x10000^2= 600 Watt ?! Even with worst power factor 600
>Watts can't generate 10Amps current draw at 230V, can they???

Probably not, but I thought you said your firing voltage was around 15kV?

Also are you sure your system is firing at 200 bps and not 100 bps?
Depending on the phase adjustment of a 200 bps rotary, it may fire
at 100 bps or at 200 bps.  You can tell by the sound.  If one bang
is weaker or nonexistent, the sound will be like 100 bps.  When the
bangs are equal in energy, then the sound will be like 200 bps.
The gap would probably sound louder at 100 bps due to the larger
bang size.  Still, the gap should not be too loud even with a low
primary surge impedance, but who knows?  Some static gaps
produce a sort of sizzling sound like a steak cooking on the grill,
so yes, it would be different than the rotary sound.

John