Fritz vs TCBOR -- initial results in...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Luke, Terry et. all:

I ran quite a few tests tonight, plus managed to
capture more than a few clean waveforms of the efield
surrounding the secondary using the Tek 922 and a wire
antenna as usual.  I placed the scope a little closer
than my usual 20 feet this time...8 feet to be exact.
Time base in the photos was 20us per division.

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett/misc

The Fritz gap got noticably hotter to the touch during
the short runs (30 seconds or less) than the TCBOR,
however this did not adversely affect performance (in
terms of spark length and ferocity).  I did not do any
actual spark measurement since the difference between
the performance of the gaps at this spacing
(~.154-.158) was so drastic it did not matter what the
actual lengths were.

At this distance both the static gap units began to
fire at around the 55-60V mark on my 140V 20A 60hz
variac.

As you can see from the waveforms and the arcs the
Fritz gap is the clear winner (although I may have
forgotton to upload a picture of the TCBOR arcs at the
test spacing...I'll do it in a day or two) with the
TCBOR showing a clear 3rd notch quench and the Fritz a
1st.  Or is that a 2nd?  Maybe someone can help me out
a bit on that one...is that the end of the first
secondary ringup/modulation envelope at the left of
the screen?  Oh well...it's almost 5 in the morning
and I need to hit the sack.

If there is enough interest I can condense this mess
into the form of a paper using Acrobat or Microsoft
Word.

-Brett

PS:  Hope you enjoyed this, Luke.

_