Re: CD 942 failure tonight

Hi John,

I finished the spice simulations assuming that 12/120 (60Hz) was the full
power source and you are running your SRSG at 120 pps.  The Cres for this
NST (or pair of 12/60) is 26.5 nf.  The impedance of the NST is 100Kohms
represented by an inductor of 265 heneries.  The following is the peak Vc
and firing voltage as a function of phasing:

Using your 66.7nf Cp

Phase  |  Vc_pk  |  Vfire
---------------------------------
at pk     |  17.5kv |  17.5kv
+.5ms  |  20.0kv |  19.5kv
+1.0     |  22.5kv |  22.0kv
+1.5     |  26.0kv |  23.0kv
+1.6     |  27.0kv |  23.2kv
+1.7     |  28.0kv |  23.5kv
+1.8     |  27.0kv |  23.1kv

Using 83.2 nf  Cp (3.14*Cres)

Phase  |  Vc_pk  |  Vfire
---------------------------------
at pk     |  14.0kv |  14.0kv
+.5ms  |  15.0kv |  14.9kv
+1.0     |  17.0kv |  16.3kv
+1.5     |  18.2kv |  16.3kv
+1.6     |  18.3kv |  16.2kv
+1.8     |  18.3kv |  16.0kv

Please note that if the safety gap is set incorrectly and with the 66.7nf
Cp, you could expect to have 28KV on your cap.  With the larger Cp, the
maximum voltage is almost the rating of the NST.

Take care,
Gerry R

 > Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>
 >
 > It's a 12/120.  I bought two new ones off of e-Bay for $15.00 apiece, and
 > after posting this guy to the list, I think Harold Weiss bought several
 > also.  With regards to the strings being hooked up, the end of each string
 > is screwed into 6" pieces of brass bar stock.  SRSG safety is at .5"
 > exactly.  NST safety is actually under .5" total.  Center of NST safety,
NST