Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry and all,

However, it may not be a fatal flaw. Assuming the magnetic field
significantly lengthens the arc's path while high primary current is
flowing, it will leave a longer hot gas channel once the arc extinguishes.
The lengthened path may then be easier to cool and disrupt, thereby making
reignition more difficult once the system has reached the first notch
current zero. A lengthened arc channel may also provide improved quenching
in a triggered static gap for similar reasons.

Best regards,

-- Bert --