Re: Secondary Material, Performance and Price

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

PVC does fine if you wanna do the extra work of drying/sealing it. Acrylic is better, but at best makes only a 5-10% difference from what I've heard and unless you have a pig-powered coil that's not going to make much difference. If you can get the extruded acrylic version it'd be cheaper, but not as cheap as PVC. Cast has better optical properties, but the same electrical ones.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:52 PM
Subject: Secondary Material, Performance and Price

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

Yesterday I naively went out to home depot to buy a
chunk of 8" schedule 80 PVC for a secondary coil.

I never considered that they wouldn't carry it.  When
I go home I did some searching and found that
Mcmaster.com sells it in 5' lengths for $89.  Mcmaster
also sells 8" Cast acrylic tubes for $192 which
doesn't seem all that much more considering the good
characteristics I've heard about acrylic (doesn't trap
moisture, higher Q, etc.)

So my question is, how much SHOULD I expect to pay for
a PVC pipe (I suspect Mcmaster is high) and would it
be worth the extra $$$ just to go forward with the
acrylic?

Thanks,

Curt.

Yahoo! DSL ­ Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com