To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 3:04 AM
Subject: Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

if you want to use magnets... I would look for Hard Drive magnets or the Neodynium ( spelling??) types ( I think they are the same) speaker magnets are designed to keep the flux in the center of the core ( donut hole) of the magnet... they are pretty weak alse where other than the inside of the hole area.... check Ebay for neodynium magnets... lots of sellers offering them ... I bought 2 2.5"X1.5" rounds and talk about powerful!!!! suck the car keys from your pocket at 12" I placed one on the counter top and it pulled all the steel type kitchen utensiles from the drawer 4" under the counter top at 3-5 feet, it will screw up the TV or computer monitor in a hurry... im sure with this type of flux power it should do something for flux quenching....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "colin heath" <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
im looking to build a triggered gap and was wondering about the effectiveness of the magnetic quenched gaps?
what sort of magnets do we need to achieve a good quech in say a 2KW system?
can normal speaker magnets be used or are we talking about high powered rare earth types?
cheers
colin heath