Re: MOV's

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dave,
My Dad used to cut the metal oxide composites for MOV prototypes back in the days when GE made MOVs. His comments were that GE's MOVs were sold as consumable commodities, and that their clamping voltage tended to increase with repeated hits. After a period of time, they were to be replaced, as their clamping ability would diminish to the point where they would no longer be an effective protectant.

One corollary is that buying used MOV stacks can be risky, as they may have passed their useful life in their original application -- not that I've seen many of them available at hamfests any more. as a side note, some of them operate pretty warm -- I have a big GE unit protecting my whole house, the diameter of a 5# coffee can, and half as high. It runs warm, but not hot, to the touch, but the guy I bought it from said that was expected behavior. He used to test the units for GE.

Unfortunately, the degradation of the MOVs was very non-linear, and even GE had a hard time quantifying how much they degraded. That's why you don't see a lot of "MOV Testers" comparable to cap or diode testers.
The risetime and current profile of the transient pulse affect how the device is degraded.
To be honest, the tiny little MOVs in the usual $5.00 power strip are just too small to provide anything more than a placebo to the owner.
Truly effective surge suppression devices, like the military surplus suppressors that I bought at a surplus sale 2 decades ago have inductors to limit the rise time of transients, gas discharge tube transient voltage suppressors to carry really big currents, and beefy MOVs the size of 4 stacked $0.50 pieces, and fuses on all the power lines, with a pilot to indicate if the fuses have been blown.
OTOH, because of the power levels involved, no consumer MOV or surge suppressor is going to stand up to a nearby lightning strike, or even the more common occurrence of a fault path from a high voltage to a low voltage circuit, as when a car hits a power pole, and cause a 14.4KV line to contact a 220 volt line. The latter happened at my office a few years back and took out $30K of equipment, even though it was all protected by good quality surge suppressors and UPSs to boot.
Be aware that any application of a MOV across a power circuit must include a circuit breaker or fuse in series with each MOV. After some transients, MOVs may fail as a dead short, and you need an interrupter of some sort to protect your house wiring. I experienced this failure mode a few years back, when I was working on my house wiring. The manufacturer of my home security system placed some token MOVs across the power supply inputs, but no fuses. I was wiring in another part of the house, and caused an accidental short on another circuit. Some sort of transient propagated back to the security system, and caused both MOVs to fail shorted. There was no outward damage to their cases, but it took me half a day to figure out where the hard short was in the circuit.
I've toyed with the idea of building a MOV tester using a Blumlein (sp?) pulse generator to make a repeatable, fast, high voltage, low current pulse, but have never gotten around to doing it. It would be interesting to see how much the MOVs in a Terry filter degrade with typical TC operation. However, as I mentioned, MOV testing is subject to a sort of uncertainty principle -- each test changes the properties of the MOV, though I think a few low energy hits would not degrade them too much.

Dave Speck

One group maintains MOV's last pretty much forever and replacing things like power strips with MOV's is not necessary.

Another group maintains that MOV's break down at [whatever] voltage above 120 VAC and the MOV shorts the current across it. This group maintains that whenever this happens, a portion of the MOV's dies, and when all the surface area of the MOV is gone, the thing is useless and must be replaced.

My own experience is that I've seen them die after fun things like lightning strikes.