Bart, thank you very much for your calculations. You folks on this list are fantastic.

I just wound a DC Cox "scrap-wire" primary with 10ga. solid wire, after I get the splices connected, I may be close to trying this sucker. I already have a 3" diam. wound secondary, but when I saw this huge hunk of conduit, I couldn't pass it up. One day I'll wind it. But for now I'll use the smaller secondary. AT least I know now that the conduit can be used for when I want a bigger coil. This is such a huge project, I hope I can build it before I leave this Earth geez!

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"

Hi Dan,

The TC-2 is just a NEMA standard the PVC form applies to. Should be just
fine for a secondary form.
The 4" form I suspect is actually 4.5" when actually measured.

#28 magnet wire closewound will achieve 1000 turns within 15" of the form.
I personally would recommend using #24 and cutting the form down to 25",
then winding 1100 turns of #24 on the form for 22.5" winding length. This
would leave you with 1.25" bare pvc on each end for base and topload
mounting. The h/d ratio is 5:1. Sec wire if purchased by weight would be
1.6 lbs. It would be self resonant at 348 kHz and with a topload of say a
toroid shape of 4.5"ID x 19.25"OD, the frequency would drop to about 200
kHz. Add a 10 turn 1/4" tubing flat primary with 1" spacing and it would
tune in at about 9 turns with a 0.025uF tank cap. For that matter, throw a
12/60 NST to it and it should be good for 45" sparks!

Take care,
Bart