Re: No Terry filter

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dave,

If I understand correctly, you're talking about three gaps? one across the NST bushings, the main gap, a safety gap of uncertain benefits, and no terry filter?? If this is correct, I think the gap across the bushings would be the safety gap as long is each bushings was gap protected individually with repect to chassis. A gap only from bushing to bushing would not protect against anything common mode. With no terry filter you would not have protection from RF. The tar in the NST has problems with this I think. If you add the terry RC filter, personally, I would put the filter as close to the NST bushings as practical. I would put the safety gap on the TC side of the RC filter placed at the filter. The capacitors of the RC filter may not like to be instantaneously discharged by the safety gap if placed directly across the caps and bushings.

If you are talking about no safety gap, no filter, and only having the main gap placed close to the bushings, I believe the main gap would take the place of the safety gap with the exception of common mode protection. However, if you allow your self to be tempted to increase the main gap to get larger sparks, you will not have the safety gap to fall back on.

Gerry R.

Original poster: <dgoodfellow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My nst experience with coils is along that of Dan's. I started thinking though, if I use an ltr capacitor, have my spark gap right across the transformer with fat solid wire connecting the output of the transformer to the spark gap, and I set my spark gap to .200", I should still have a set of safety gaps in parallel with the main gap? How will the safety gap do anything that the main gap can't do, since afterall, the main gap will fire once the voltage is above a certain level. What am I missing here?

Dave Goodfellow