Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Antonio, all,
my bigger induction coil, whose secondary is wound of 0.4mm wire (41.5k turns) in a stack 26 flat coils, is 60H without - and about 420H with laminated iron core. See:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/induc_maindata.html
However, it would support only about 150...170kV sparks (needle points assumed), as a secondary voltage. The resonant frequency of the cored coil is about 1200Hz (mesured), when no sparks are present. From the measurements, a self capacitace of ~40pF can be estimated. See:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/induc_analys.htm
The smaller and newer coils (Andy's and mine) with ~26k turns of 0.315mm wire in 12 "pies" have ~15H wihout and ~110H with iron core. They can support around ~100...120kV.
Think, it would be quite easy, to use those coils for low-f Tesla style, but not for high power.

I underestimated a bit the inductance values. I was thinking about an ignition coil that I have used for experiments, that has 37 H of secondary inductance. I could make it work well as a "Tesla coil with initial energy in the primary coil" by inserting in series with the primary another inductor, to adjust the coupling coefficient to the required value, and using an adequate primary capacitor. I could then make the system operate with complete energy transfer, oscillating at about 2 kHz. The high losses allow only operation in the fastest modes (1:3 ou 1:7) without big differences from the assumed lossless behavior. A slide from a presentation here, with experimental waveforms obtained at low power: http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/induction.jpg I don't remember what was the attenuation used for the output voltage. Theoretically, it would reach 11.7 kV for each A of input current in mode 1:3, and 7.2 kV in mode 1:7, ignoring losses.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz