Re: Metal traces in PVC pipe?

Hi

At 10:13 AM 7/2/2006, you wrote:
I've seen some white PVC pipe with crud like this but none where the outside of the pipe "looked clean". Seems to me a very simple inspection method would be to pass a "Tesla coil" leak detector probe over the pipe or, even simpler yet, just move it around over the top of a "standard TC" operating at low enough power that streamers don't work along the pipe to the fingers holding it.

Ed

I tried a leak detector and it ignored the specks of stuff. But even metal would probably look fairly isolated so maybe it would not attract arcs still.

I worked at a plastic molding shop for a short time and they made computer and light medical plastic parts. All kinds of odd things got into the plastic as it was dumped from here to there. Of course, "bugs" are just "what is left of something organic" in the final product. I could guess that PVC sewer and drain pipe is not made under the most pristine conditions. The strain out stuff that will actually break the extruder or molds, but other than that I doubt if they care. I very well remember that "people that care" we in very short supply in that business! But it was 25 years ago so maybe it has all changed ;-)

Cheers,

Terry