RE: Another Terry's filter question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The power dissipated in the resistor is actually the (current)squared times R - even less than you thought. However, a couple things tend to make the actual current higher than what you may expect.

The RMS current from your NST is rated at 30mA maximum to a short circuit or resistive load. But when the NST is charging a capacitive load, the actual current can be far higher. Boosting the mains voltage above nominal with a Variac further contributes to this. We don't presently know how to estimate this in advance, but it may be several TIMES the rated current.

The bypass caps in the R-C filter also contribute to the power dissipated in the resistors. Each time the main gap fires, the main cap discharges through the primary coil, but additionally, the bypass caps discharge through the resistors. The full magnitude of Vbang is applied to the two resistors, and is not limited to 30mA since it's supplied by the bypass caps. The power dissipated in each resistor from the bypass cap is (BPS * .5 * C * Vbang/2 * Vbang/2) Watts. Assuming a static gap @240BPS, two 500pF bypass caps, 21kV Vbang, each resistor will see 6.6 Watts ABOVE what the charging current contributes.

The placement of the safety gap has changed in recent years. Before Terry popularized his implementation with the MOV's, safety gaps were generally placed at the NST side of the low pass filter. But he also wanted to use MOV's as a last-ditch clamp in addition to the safety gap, and MOV's can't take as much abuse as a safety gap. I'm speculating that the safety gap is at the output side to take the brunt of a primary streamer-strike, leaving the more fragile MOV's to guard against lesser events.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA