RE: need some capacitor help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Russ:

If all else is hooked up correctly, a 20kV cap rating should be more
than ample for a 9kV NST.  But you didn't provide enough detail to rule
out other problems.

If one hooks up JUST the capacitor across the NST secondary, with no
spark gap, that could result in the trouble you describe.  Same thing if
you have a spark gap and primary coil properly wired, but with the spark
gap set too wide.  Either of these scenarios may result in the NST
charging the capacitor bank to a voltage far in excess of the NST
rating, and can easily kill the cap and/or the NST.  The spark gap width
sets the maximum voltage seen by the circuit, and this can be way higher
than the NST voltage, so setting the gap properly is critical.

Let us know more about the NST current rating and your gap
configuration?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA