A few basic questions

Original poster: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Like I said in my last post, I'm really new to coiling, and there are a few questions that I'm sure are basic but have been bugging me a lot, and I can't seem to find the answer. I'd be really grateful if someone could enlighten me. First, when I tried to check to see if duct tape would break down at high voltages (to see if it could be of any use as a dielectric in a capacitor), I noticed a blue glow around the edges of the aluminum foil that I was using. I had several layers of duct tape with pieces of foil on each side attached to my 60kV ignition coil driver. I'm wondering what exactly is causing this blue glow, at the level of electrons possibly jumping shells and photons being emitted, and if it's wasting much energy. Also, I was wondering what effect the size of the secondary has on coil performance. The only thing that I can really think of is that a larger secondary would probably have a larger inductance which would probably decrease the resonant frequency, but I'm sure there are other differences as well, considering that the coils that I have seen that produce large sparks are all fairly large in size. I was also wondering if it would be possible to drive a coil off of DC current switched by some kind of mechanical switch, perhaps a rotary spark gap. Like if I had a high-voltage DC source and hooked it up to a rotary spark gap rotating at an arbitrary speed and connected the output of that to the coil primary. Would this work? The reason that I was thinking about this is that I would probably try to build a tesla coil with a car ignition coil driven at a relatively high (~700 Hz) frequency as the power supply. I'm not sure if this frequency is too high to input directly into the primary and was thinking that it could potentially be rectified into DC and passed through a high-voltage smoothing capacitor (potentially with a resistor in series to limit discharge speed), then connected in the way described above. Would this work?

Thanks,
Chris