RE: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:05:34 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

Jim,
     When trying to explain TC operation to normal people, emphasize
resonance.  The explanation I like to use is this, picture a piece of metal,
like a tuning fork or a wind chime.  When you strike it it makes a tone,
this tone is it's resonant frequency.  This is an example of mechanical
resonance, the same thing applies in the electrical universe.  Size,
dimensions, and material determine mechanical resonance, whereas
capacitance, inductance, and to a small extent resistance determine
electrical resonance.  When a spark gap fires, it creates many frequencies,
only the resonant frequency persists, in the tank circuit, after the first
few nano-seconds (like smashing a support beam with a hammer, it makes a
loud dissonant sound, which fades to a single tone determined by the
dimensions of the metal piece (this fading is because of the energy getting
absorbed into the metal as heat, and getting dissipated to the environment
as sound)).  In a similar manner, in a resonant system the electrical energy
is quickly transferred back and forth between a capacitor and inductor, and
energy is bled off in the form of heat from DC resistance, and in the form
of arcs.  The Tesla coil is a double resonant system, the tank circuit is
resonant to a frequency X determined by the values of the tank capacitor and
"inductor" primary coil (it is also affected by the transformer, ballast,
chokes etc, but the common onlooker will just be confused by all of this),
and the secondary is tuned to the same frequency X of the tank circuit
(using the inductance of the secondary coil, and the capacitance of the top
load).  In a resonant system there is a huge voltage gain because of the
frequency change, so the tank system steps up the transformers output
voltage, which resonates the secondary, and creates an oober bigger step up
than from the directly induced voltage based on turns ratio.  As far as
quenching, coupling, notches etc, you don't want to get into that too much
with a layperson, as they will find it difficult to follow, but for your own
information, I seriously suggest you check out Richie Burnett's website, it
has everything you will need to know.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml
I hope this helps.
Scott Bogard.