Re: High Copper Cost - was: [TCML] Refurbished Coill

In a message dated 12/22/07 5:31:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mrclivehansen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Quoting Bart, "If I had to pay their prices in a US economy and cost of
living situation, I would certainly consider Aluminum primaries." Are
aluminum primaries acceptable? Why are they not widely  used?

-Clive
http

Hi Clive,

Aluminum will have higher resistive losses than copper for the same size
conductor.

Rolls of aluminum tubing are not readily available in most places, you  will
probably have to use wire.

Aluminum wire with the same power handling capacity as copper tubing is
going to be larger and more difficult to work. The 1/4" copper tubing  will
require #2 Solid Aluminum wire or larger.

On the other hand, what is available to you and what you can afford is,
IMHO, far superior to what you can't.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.