18_inch_sparks...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

All,

I managed at least 18" sparks last night with my 833A
system.  Same specs as before, I basically just got
more input on the variac and the breaker held up.  I
have been monitoring the input cords for heating (I
have a 15 amp extension cord), and so far nothing has
warmed up.  Here is a video which is about 2.88 megs
in size:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/18inch_sparks.mov

Notice the plate heat up when I start pulling
powerarcs...not as bad as it looks as the camera
exaggerates the I.R. component in the video.  At that
time I was pulling between 16 and 21 amps at 130 vac
as seen on the amp clamp over the mains to the plate
MOT.  Up to 2.7+ KVA for about 20 inches max.  I still
need to mount a stationary target above the breakout
point for measurement.

Conclusions:  I am still not yet in optimum tune, but
am at least getting very satisfying sparks.  I haven't
done a retune or optimized grid leak resistance since
I added the doubler.  This should really improve
efficiency, even if it doesn't greatly increase
output.

Staccato will be my next move, right after I put
together a more robust diode string for the doubler
and wire that circuit up securely.  Staccato should
allow me to max out the input with little fear of
blown breakers or heated wiring.

Cheers,

-Brett

Cheap talk?