Re: [PHISH] RE: Tungsten,2% Thoriated or Pure?

At 09:54 PM 2/16/2007, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Teslacoil Workshop" <workshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mike,

A better read IMO would be:

Be familiar with what is contained on the MSDS Sheets of every material that
goes into the construction of your special effects device before selling to
a major corporation. They not understand when they find something
"radioactive" in your product despite your every attempt to reassure them
with your "science" that the material in question is only "a little"
radioactive. For every scientist in an organization there is also a lawyer
(or two).

And, oddly enough, Jeff is selling into a business that is notoriously cavalier about safety, which is surprising given that it is infested with attorneys (but they're mostly deal makers and IP types, not personal injury liability types). Most of those attorneys are nice folks (although focussed on their client's needs, which may or may not be aligned with yours) but not necessarily scientifically or engineering trained, and they are sort of professionally gun-shy.

But, that doesn't change the fact that if you're in a business, you have to deal with customer perceptions, which are not always perfectly rational.

And also recognize that everyone has a different risk acceptance posture and that it evolves with time and situation. What I thought was perfectly ok when I was an indestructible 20 year old is a tad different in my forties with two kids. (although... a coworker was relating an incident "Dad, can me and my friend make a flame thrower?"... they wound up making a VDG instead) What's ok to lash up in the garage and might burn your house down or fry your computer might not be so cool in an elementary school with 700 kids under 10 years old.

I would venture that in any *business* the risk acceptance is somewhat more conservative than for a *hobby*. There's a long tradition that killing yourself by tinkering is relatively ok, but charging people to kill them is less acceptable.

Jim