Re: an interesting mechanical engineering problem

Original poster: Tom Perigrin <tip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 12:36 AM 1/11/2007, you wrote:

At 03:45 PM 1/10/2007, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Tom Perigrin <tip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 08:56 PM 1/9/2007, you wrote:
Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

 You can't get cheaper and simpler than some saw cuts and
electrical tape.

-Phil LaBudde
(save your time and money for the IGBT's)

Although I'm a big advocate of going cheaply as possible, I'd have a problem with the visual asthetics of this idea when spending thousands on what is a showpiece.

I'd suggest getting a plug and socket made for each joint. The plug and socket would consist of a 4" OD taper by about 12" long. These should be accurately turned to be +/- 0.001 (or better). Then, get them gold plated with at least 0.005 of 24K gold. Also, there should be a mechanism like a pipe union that snugs the joint together.

That's a clever idea. Coarse thread, like a firehose coupling, you can put a wrench on it, pulls the joint together. In fact, you might look at firehose couplings.. 4", brass, etc.

D'OH !!!!

I'm a volunteer firefighter. I should have thought of that !!! Brilliant non-traditional use of materials and resources. My helmet is off to you.