Re: Ball Lightning

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> This may be one explanation of ball lightning, however, I have
> witnessed it firsthand, and suspect it was an electrostatic
> effect.

Some BL reports say that it can form suddenly indoors, as if "winking on"
but not drifting in from outside.   If so, then it's not exactly
electrostatic, since a house will shield the DC thunderstorm field.  More
likely it requires a transient high e-field such as those in the miles of
space surrounding a lightning strike.

I see a couple of Youtube videos of apparent ball lightning.

  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A5B4897404F34F8B

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci