Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:18:47 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc. (fwd)

Back in Nov. 2006 I tried explaining to those fellows at MIT what Tesla was
actually doing, but it seems they are not really interested in that.

Wallace,

You wrote to Aristeidis Karalis:
> I regret I do not have the two articles to which I referred in electronic
> form.   However I recently made a hard copy of them for my friend Gary
> Peterson who I will ask to make a copy of them for you.

I have posted typescripts of the two articles on the web at
www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/eccles.htm  and www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/fleming.htm
[in progress].  Here are the wireless transmission distance statements made
therein along with a short commentary that I have prepared.

In 1943 W. H. Eccles wrote, ". . . Tesla's main purpose was the transmission
of power and messages across space.  In 1892 and 1893 he developed his
scheme.  High-frequency power was to be led to a large antenna consisting of
an elevated metal area connected by a vertical wire to a large metal plate
buried in the earth.  The receiving antenna was to be equal in every
respect. . . . Tesla had thus supplied, two years before wireless began its
commercial career, all the elements of both spark and continuous wave
sending stations. . . . After building one or two small stations, he started
in 1897, at his own expense, a station of 200 kilowatts in Colorado.  From
this point in 1899 he transmitted power enough to light a lamp at 30 km.
For the reception of continuous wave signals he invented the interrupter
device known as a ticker, which was employed by others for the next dozen
years, and from the Colorado station received signals at a distance of 1,000
km.  Later, his form of antenna, his rotating discharger, and his tuned
transformer were used successfully by many others at spark stations in every
country." [Eccles, W. H., "Dr. Nikola Tesla," Nature, London, 13. II 1943.,
p. 189]

In 1944, Fleming wrote, "Following up his idea of making the whole
terrestrial globe oscillate electrically, in 1899 in Colorado he erected a
high aerial tower and connected a very high-voltage Tesla coil between it
and the ground.  He hoped apparently that the large periodic electric charge
which was thereby elevated high above the ground would excite an oscillation
of the whole globe.  Immense power seemed essential to him, and he
presumably hoped to achieve a resonance of the globe.  The mechanism of
propagation he looked for was not the mechanism which Hertz and Maxwell
thought of and which is used today, but the method he used in his attempt
involved the employment of a high aerial and a ground connection, two of the
most obvious features of present-day radio.  He transmitted enough power to
light a lamp at a distance of 30 km. and to produce detectable signals at a
distance of 1,000 km."   [Fleming, A P. M., Journal of Institution of
Electrical Engineers, London, Vol. 91, February 1944]

Considering the dates, it is possible that Fleming's remarks were based upon
those of Eccles appearing in Nature.  Eccles' wording of the wireless
transmission account is somewhat unclear.  He states, "From this point [the
Colorado station] 1899 he [Tesla] transmitted power enough to light a lamp
at 30 km.," which is plain enough, but he then goes on to say that Tesla,
"from the Colorado station received signals at a distance of 1,000 km," a
statement that is slightly ambiguous.  There would be no question if Eccles
had written, "he received signals from the Colorado station at a distance of
1,000 km," or as stated by Fleming, "He transmitted enough power . . . to
produce detectable signals at a distance of 1,000 km," but he didn't.

Henry Bradford has pointed out that in the 1916 interview Tesla does not
mention the transmission-reception distance figures cited by Eccles.  Tesla
does say,

     "The distance at that time [in or about the year 1897], and I think the
greatest distance at which I ever received signals from the Houston Street
laboratory, was from the Houston laboratory to West Point.  That is, I
think, a distance of about 30 miles. . . ."

In the same interview, when questioned about the distance of his test
receivers from the sending station in Colorado Springs and from the
Wardenclyffe plant Tesla responds,

     ". . . these distances were small, . . . they were merely intended to
give me quantative data . . . 10 miles or so. . . . Similarly, in the Long
Island Plant." [Nikola Tesla On His Work With Alternating Currents and Their
Application to Wireless Telegraphy, Telephony, and Transmission of Power,
second edition, Anderson, L.I., Ed., Twenty First Century Books,
Breckenridge, 2002, p. 172-173.]

As you stated earlier in regards to the Fleming and Eccles statements, "when
men of their stature publish in journals with peer review, I would think
they would be very careful not to damage their reputations. . . . they did
not put in caveats such as "Tesla "reported" . . . or Tesla "claimed to
have" . . . On the other hand Eccles admiration of Tesla was  said to border
on adulation.   And these were intended to be tributes made at the death of
Tesla."

Were it not for the accounts specifying Colorado as the location where the
observations were made, one might conclude that the data were collected some
time subsequent to 1916, perhaps during the wireless transmission
demonstrations said to have taken place around 1930 north of Quebec City,
Canada. [Recorded interview with Arthur Mathews, please see
http://www.tfcbooks.com/teslafaq/q&a_051.htm .]

In his written record of Colorado Springs experiments Tesla does provide
accounts of having received naturally occurring signals originating a
significant distance from the station.  "In one instance the devices
recorded effects of lightning discharges fully 500 miles away." [Nikola
Tesla  Colorado Springs Notes 1899-1900, Nolit, Beograd, 1978, p. 110]

The Eccles distance figure of 1,000-kilometers , some 621 miles, is about
24% beyond that provided by Tesla for his 'spherics' observation.  Given
that many second-hand accounts of Tesla's achievements are known to contain
inaccuracies, perhaps the Eccles figure does not seem so far off.

As for the lighting of a lamp at a distance of 30 kilometers, some 19 miles,
this is . . . harder to explain.  This distance is about 86% beyond the "10
miles or so" that Tesla spoke of in the 1916 interview.  On the other hand,
we have J. J. O'Neill's 1944 account,

". . . By piecing together the fragmentary material published in a number of
publications, however, it appears evident that Tesla . . . tested his power
transmission system at a distance of twenty-six miles from his laboratory
and was able to light two hundred incandescent lamps, of the Edison type,
with electrical energy extracted from the earth while his oscillator was
operating.  These lamps consumed about fifty watts each . . . ."  [Prodigal
Genius, Ives Washburn, Inc. 1944, 1964, p. 193-194]

Two additional Tesla statements provide us with a bit of substantiation that
the second hand accounts have at least some basis in fact.

"While I have not as yet actually effected a transmission of a considerable
amount of energy, such as would be of industrial importance, to a great
distance by this new method, I have operated several model plants under
exactly the same conditions which will exist in a large plant of this kind,
and the practicability of the system is thoroughly demonstrated. ["The
Problem of Increasing Human Energy," Century, June, 1900]

and

To illustrate, let me mention here [one of] two widely different experiments
of mine.  [A] small incandescent lamp was lighted by means of a resonant
circuit grounded on one end, all the energy being drawn through the earth
electrified from a distant transmitter. . . . [T]he expert . . . knows that
to make the little filament glow, the entire surface of the planet, two
hundred million square miles, must be strongly electrified. . . . What
impresses him most, however, is the knowledge that the little lamp will
spring into the same brilliancy anywhere on the globe, there being no
appreciable diminution of the effect with the increase of distance from the
transmitter." ["Tuned Lightning," English Mechanic and World of Science,
March 8, 1907, pp.  107, 108.]
[END]

In further responding to Aristeidis you wrote:
> Tesla claimed, to my recollection, at the time, that he estimated his
> system would only result in 3% losses [after a base amount], so that his
> system also must have been free of radiative losses. . . .

Here are Tesla's own words in this regard:

     "Now, there is a vast difference between these two, the electromagnetic
and current energies.  That energy which goes out in the form of rays, is,
as I have indicated here [on the diagram of Fig. 82], unrecoverable,
hopelessly lost.  You can operate a little instrument by catching a
billionth part of it but, except this, all goes out into space never to
return.  This other energy, however, of the current in the globe, is stored
and completely recoverable.  Theoretically, it does not take much effort to
maintain the earth in electrical vibration.  I have, in fact, worked out a
plant of 10,000 horse-power which would operate with no bigger loss than 1
percent of the whole power applied; that is, with the exception of the
frictional energy that is consumed in the rotation of the engines and the
heating of the conductors, I would not lose more than 1 percent.  In other
words, if I have a 10,000 horsepower plant, it would take only 100
horsepower to keep the earth vibrating so long as there is no energy taken
out at any other place."  [Nikola Tesla On His Work With Alternating
Currents . . . , p. 140.]

You wrote:
> . . . [the Marconi] patent [U.S. Patent No. 586,193] . . . described a
> sending station and a receiving station without any tuned circuits. . . .
> Tesla's stroke of genius was to use tuned coupled coils,  move the energy
> storage capacitance to the primary side, and to add a ground connection. .
> . . Tesla was the first to inductively couple the secondary circuit [where
> the capacitance must be small] to a tuned primary circuit, where the
> energy storage element [capacitance] may be huge by comparison. . . ."
> [Correspondence with Malcolm Watt]

Of course this describes the evolution of the "radio" transmitter.  We know
that Tesla used the same coupled tuned circuit oscillator to implement his
non-radiative "disturbed charge of ground and air method" of wireless
transmission. [Colorado Springs Notes, p. 29.]  Both wireless methods
incorporate a minimum of four tuned circuits, two at the transmitter and two
at the receiver.

Tesla also used a series of four concatenated tuned circuits for the
wireless transmission of energy by electromagnetic induction.  This work
started at 35 South 5th Ave., and was subsequently adopted to light the 46
Houston St. laboratory. [Nikola Tesla: Guided Weapons & Computer Technology,
Anderson, L.I., Ed., Twenty First Century Books, Breckenridge, 1998, p. 62.]
Tesla also used the induction energy transmission method at Colorado Springs
in order to test its efficacy as compared with the "disturbed charge of
ground and air method."  In this case the induction transmitter contained
three of the tuned circuits, and the receiver was a single tuned circuit
comprised of a one-turn inductance and a capacitor.

     "This [shown in Fig. 59] is transmission of energy by induction.  Here
is a tuned circuit, you see, out in the field with three incandescent lamps
and a condenser.  The energy is transmitted inductively, from the
oscillator.  In this case, I have the primary supply circuit, the energizing
condenser circuit, the primary inducing circuit, and the secondary in the
field as in the fourth circuit, all tuned -- four circuits in resonance."
[Nikola Tesla On His Work With Alternating Currents . . . , pp. 93-94.]  ".
. . it is found that with the above circuits and under such conditions about
1 mile communications should be possible.  With circuits 1000 meters square,
about 30 miles.  From this, the inferiority of the induction method would
appear to be immense as compared with disturbed charge of ground and air
method." [Colorado Springs Notes, p. 29.]

To summarize, there are three different wireless energy transmission methods
being spoken of here, 1) radio, 2) induction, and 3) disturbed charge of
ground and air.  The first method is radiative; methods number two and three
are nonradiative.

Aristeidis Karalis wrote:
>> Our task is to achieve a very "efficient" (~50%) energy transfer over
>> mid-range distances, namely within a room, . . . The sources for that
>> purpose would be ~1m on a room ceiling. . . .

And, clearly, you would be using the induction method to do this.

>> . . . By the scaling law of Maxwell's equations, one could achieve
>> "efficient" energy transfer also with a huge tower of 100m high but the
>> range would be at most on the order of 1km and not more.

But, Tesla's huge tower was not designed on the basis of the induction
method.  Its design embodies the non-radiative "disturbed charge of ground
and air method."  The scaling law of Maxwell's equations does not appear to
be applicable in this case.

Regards,
Gary

Gary Peterson