Re: copper plated tungsten rods (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: copper plated tungsten rods (fwd)

Hi Scott,
     Copper plating tungsten is very simple actually.  I've done a lot of plating myself.  All ya have to do is electropolish the tungsten( I taped off the ends of the rods, cuz I figured there was no point in plating them) and use a basic copper electrolyte solution.  I think I used about 50g/L copper sulfate and about the same of sulfuric acid.  I am sure one could optimize that...but for a one shot deal...why bother?   I used a D cell battery and a variable resistor as the power source....very crude, but effective
  Mike

  I figured the gap would blow the plating off the tip, But I use a
propeller
style gap, which means I have 7 inches of 1/8 tungsten rod.  Still
probably
negligible, I figure If I use an acetylene torch to melt some copper,
it
will stick nicely to the heated rod, just like steel does (although
this is
bad for TIG welding).  Or I could electroplate the rod, if that would
work
for tungsten (I have extensive experimental copper, zinc and silver
electroplating experience, I can get most anything to stick to most
anything, assuming I have pure samples of both metals).  Just musing.
Scott Bogard

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!