[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: FW: Unpotting a France 12/30
Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
As Bart mentioned, gasoline works great but it
has a tremendous flash danger. I would strongly
recommend seeking out a service station that has
kerosine and getting a gal of that instead of gasoline.
When I was younger, on a hot day, I had poured
gasoline on a small pile of derbris. I stood
back a distance of approx 10 ft, a distance I
thought was safe. I threw a match at the debris
pile and the invisible vapors, within 30 seconds,
had worked out to within a ft of where I was
standing. It flashed out in all directions from
the derbris pile almost 9 feet scaring the H out
of me. I never had a clear understanding of just
how dangerous gasoline was until this event. It
was a true fuel-air explosion! Didn't burn me,
but knocked me to the ground. Never again as
they say. Any ignition point, light switch,
static electricity, etc, within 10 feet of gas vapors may seriously burn you.
Please consider using kerosine for safety.
Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I would recommend removing the tranny from the
case. You'll likely do more damage trying to
remove shunts with it in the case than simply
lifting the transformer out of the case. I don't
know what the big deal is? I wouldn't drill the
case. That is unnecessary. Desolder the two GTO
cables and the core to case wire and lift the
tranny out of the case. It's much easier to clean
and remove shunts on a workbench. After you
remove the shunts, you will want to add in a
spacer to keep the shunts nice and tight. Then
plop it back down in the case and resolder the
wire connections. I recommend keeping half the
shunts in (just count them). Your already 80% of
the way completed. The real task ass removing the
tar and you've already jumped that hurdle.
Removal and installation of the tranny is the easy part.
I used gasoline myself (excellent for cleaning,
but remember, it is gasoline). My father was a
mechanic, so I was bathed in gasoline every day.
That's how we cleaned everything. I have noticed
that my hands are far more sensitive to gasoline
than they use to be. So, I try to keep my hands
out of it as much as possible and let hand tools
(brushes, etc.) do the work. If you do use
gasoline, keep in mind that sparks are a bad
idea, so don't get crazy with metal to metal
friction. Use a nylon brush designed for this
type of solvent. It's sold in most autoparts
stores (looks like a supersized paint brush with much thicker bristles).
Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Jim Mora" <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I searched the archives and read Richard Quick's
methods. Generally he did not recommend trying
to unpot a neon in the case as the transformer
is not attached to it and the wires get broken.
Hmm, I easily chipped off the asphalt off the
top of the transformer. Then I took an 8" C
clamp and thread side up clamped the transformer
in place. This makes for a handy handle. I then
fired up the barbeque. I had to set it in the
lava stone to close the cover. In the time it
takes to slow cook a thick steak, I had all the
asphalt melted and drained out, no wires
disturbed. It is now marinating in Diesel fuel.
The trick will be to remove some shunts while in
the case, mayhap I will have to drill a couple
of holes through the side and then plug them???
From: Jim Mora [mailto:jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:43 PM
To: 'Tesla list'
Subject: Unpotting a France 12/30
I have a couple of France 12/30's. I want to
un-pot one of them (some of the tar is cracked
and likely leaky) and remove a few shunts to
make a cap charger with a 5x multiplier. A newer
15/60 works just fine with some serious humming
fast and weighs three times the France! I am
wondering if I can keep the France in the
original tank and carefully heat it in a gas
powered BBQ. Ideally, I would like to pour
molten tar out and soak the tranny in diesel, or
gasoline to dissolve the rest. I guess I will
have to remove the core to knock out some shunts
and hopefully be able to reconnect the HV bushings.
If I can leave it in the original tank, I would
melt some paraffin and Vaseline together and
repot it in that. Hopefully I can squeeze 40 or
50 ma out of it and current limit the cap input
which would likely be just right. I know this is
a well covered thread; but, has anyone
successfully done this using a similar method? I
would be open to mineral oil which probably
sinks away the heat better, but the on time
should be no more than a couple minutes.