RE: [TCML] Machining Question - Techniques for Cut-Off Sawing

Thanks Finn!
Good info!
Dan

Dan,

A band saw is the best, a reciprocating power jig saw the next choice.

YMMV, but where I come from, it is usual practice to cut the raw blocks
2mm or 80thou bigger than the finished object.

First you machine one face, next, you clamp this face against the fixed
jaw of the vice, and machine another face.
To make sure that the machined face is orientated against the fixed jaw,
you should press against it with one single point, instead of the whole
moving jaw. A small block of phenolic, placed btwn. the moving jaw and
the workpiece, is a good choice.

You now have 2 faces that are square to each other.

Clamping one of these faces against the fixed jaw (with phenolic between
the moving jaw and the workpiece), and aligning the other machined face
to be vertical, with a machinists angle, you machine the 3rd face.

After this you have 3 faces each perpendicular, and these faces can
serve as reference to the milling operation that brings the block to
it`s desired dimension.

On properly finished parts, all faces are machined.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer