Re: [TCML] Spark gap comparisons

Hi Matt,

The voltage is the same as well as the current dictated by the load. A 5mm gap versus five 1mm gaps in series. I expect there are probably some variations due to arc dynamics, but I would have to guess their pretty close. Once the arc is started, R is at a very low state, but of course present and a voltage drop is across the arc. If the current remains unchanged and you stretch the arc, "then" I see the arc resistance going up, but may still not make a big difference in performance in a system (I guess that depends on the system). Imagine a load of say 10000 ohms with an arc resistance in series with that load of only 0.00001 ohms. Now stretch the arc to 0.00002 ohms. It just doesn't impact the system (in my mind). But I'm no expert, just thinking.

Take care,
Bart

Mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, This brings up a very interesting question on the non-linear dynamic resistance of spark gaps, which I have never seen addressed. If we call the effective resistance of a gap at any instant R*, then the instantaneous power being dissipated across each gap(x) is Px= Ex^2/R*x, Where Ex is the voltage drop across gap(x). If we have 5 gaps, each 1 mm in width, is the sum of the R*s, (and thus the Pxs)equal to, greater than, or less than the R* of a single 5 mm gap? Likewise, does a straight arc have the same dynamic characteristics as an arc blown into a "U"-shape by high pressure or vacuum? I think not, but can't prove it. This might be a worthwhile project for those who have the time, equipment, and ability to do precise, repeated measurements. Matt D.