[TCML] Pig safety gaps - was Winding the primary

Hi David,

Correct - I no longer use a strike ring.

I'm curious how a streamer striking your secondary could have caused primary-side damage.  I would guess that it must have also struck the primary, causing the arrestor to avalanche, and with the current of the charged cap (or maybe just the pig secondary) behind it, smoked the arrestor.

That's an interesting report that normal safety gaps don't extinguish with a pig driving it!  I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before.  Sounds like the standard practice of using drawer knob electrodes (?) doesn't cut it in your application!  Have you tried a horn gap?  Sorry, but I have no experience at that power level.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA