Re: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

Hi Greg, All,
     I have to agree with the statistics, but  cannot endorse the cavalier
attitude behind them. For example,  statistically, in playing Russian roulette,
you are playing "with the odds  tipped strongly in favor of survival" as you
say, but IMO, it should be argued  against with utmost vehemence, because of
the consequences of that one chance in  six. This is especially true when
putting out information to extremely  inexperienced people who will most likely be
working without supervision or  assistance of any kind. Many new coilers do not
use the "buddy system".
    One has to be mindful of both the audience and the  intent when defining
dangers. As a pharmacological example. I took a  course back in the 60's where
a lethal dose was considered that level where  mortality reached 50%, i.e.
where one half of the people taking that dose would  not die. One could argue,
quite logically, that ingesting less than the lethal  dose of arsenic or
strychnine would be acting "with the odds tipped in  favor of survival",  but
telling kids in high school  chemistry that "small doses probably OK" is not my
concept  of responsible behavior.

YOMV,

Matt D.

In a message dated 6/11/08 11:21:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> a  12-15Kv 30 mA unit would be a standard choice. ( if you
> get shocked by
> this transformer there is a chance you will live, anything
>  larger and
> the chance drops to 0).
> Scot D

I strongly  disagree.  It's inaccurate to declare that any shock over 30 mA
gives  zero chance of survival.  Were that true, I probably would have died two
 or three times by now.  I'm sure several of my fellow list members can
recall painful, but non-lethal incidents in their professional and/or hobby
endeavors.

I'm not a physician, but I do teach basic electronics using  professionally
prepared materials.  According to USAF doctrine, the  lethality of an electric
shock is determined by numerous variables including  the part of the body that
receives the shock, the age and physical condition  of the victim, the
duration of the shock, the amount of current, and the  promptness of emergency
medical treatment.

Under tragically ideal  conditions, 120 vac might kill an unfortunate
homeowner, while a power line  worker who gets his hands blown off by contact with a
66kv line  survives.  I have survived very uncomfortable shocks from 115
vac/400 Hz  aircraft current, as well as fierce "bites" from NST's, while the
national  news outlets report several Taser (only 2-7 mA) fatalities every year.
Likewise, how often have we read about a lucky golfer who survives a lightning
 strike with nothing worse than a painful flash burn!

Except under  carefully staged conditions, (like an electric chair!), a HV
electric shock is  a crap shoot, with the odds tipped strongly in favor of
survival.  I know  many people who have been shocked, but I don't know anyone who
has died of  electrocution in my professional, social, or family circles.

I'm all  for preaching safety, but the dangers shouldn't be overstated any
more than  they should be  understated.

Cheers,

Greg