Re: [TCML] How to use an arc welder as a ballast?

David Rieben wrote:

Hi Scot,

Ed Wingate uses 2 paralleled welders to run his big maggie
(I believe their both Lincoln 225 amp AC arc welders)
Here is the best pic that I could find of his setup, off hand:
http://www.tb3.com/tesla/ratcb2005/pages/IMG_4108.html
(You can barely see one of the welders behind the pole pig
on the left.) I'm sure Ed could further commnet on this but
I don't recall him stating that paralleling the 2 welders was
a big deal. I believe Cameron Prince has also tried a 2
welder ballast setup so he may also have something to add.

David

<very large snip>

David,

Parallel the welders, set them at the same setting or vary them by a switch position or two for a finer adjustment and they are perfectly happy sharing the load. No chokes needed.

The switches carry a warning label not to switch them under load. Changing the settings of the welders in my installation would be certain suicide anyway as they are tucked in between the wall and the pole transformer and the caps and rotary are also in very close proximity.

Ed